Oh, the Things that You’ll Learn
by Lauren Kay Weber
As a new mother, things that I’m learning:
- I don’t have to constantly be holding my baby to be loving my baby.
- When Josh gets home from work, most days I feel like I did nothing all day while he was out being productive. I need to give myself permission to think of caring for a child 16 hours a day as a job.
- I need, more than ever before in my life (and perhaps, really, for the first time) some real, unadulterated quiet in my day to feel like I’m whole.
- Take the baby outside if he’s being fussy. Works every time.
- Being pregnant comes with the perk of people letting you have right of way – in the grocery store, walking across campus, in public restrooms. Baby perk: you make friends everywhere you go.
- I know that this sounds obvious, but there are little temptations everywhere to do what’s in your best interest over your baby’s. Sometimes it doesn’t matter if you give in to that temptation; sometimes it really does.